Monday, October 7, 2013

I ain't no smitten kitchen


It ain't smitten kitchen here in Prague, but on a rainy day, I've got my 50's apron on (just for fun; had to bring it), listening to some Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan, and a little Cat Stevens (Grooveshark radio--i.e., Czech's version of pandora, but even better because you can listen to entire albums. Amy Winehouse is next to get the cooking groove on).

Making curried carrot soup. Taking a chance on some ingredients left here--curry, for one. Thinking about Elliott and how he's been trying to get me to measure just a little less. Improvise Robyn! I don't improvise, I follow the recipe as if I were the first born. But today, I improvise. Out of necessity. No tablespoons here, no cups, no butter with those ever-so-useful hash marks.

Poured a small glass of Burcka that I got from the farmer's market, along with the carrots, onions, and bread. Sweet, white wine isn't normally our thing, but when in Prague in September, one must. And, as the article says, it's so sweet you could easily chug it down like grape juice, but best not.

Slav Epic

Traveled the Tram 17 to Veletrzni Palac where Alfons Mucha's Slav Epic is on display. I felt my age in the exhibit because it was dimly lit and I had trouble reading the damn program. I had to walk over to the paintings where there was more light and hold the program just so. I guess I have to start bringing those readers wherever I go. Oy.

I love Mucha's faces most of all. He captures fear and revery so well. His love for his slavic people resonates in each of the 20 paintings, which are truly epic in size and subject. I took some photos of the entire paintings and then close-ups.

1: Slavs in their Original Homeland

3 Introduction of the Slavic Liturgy close up
close up of 1




close up of 6: Coronation of the Serbian Tsar Stefan Uros Dusan as East Roman Emperor


20: Apotheosis 'Slavs for Humanity!'
I spent three hours at the museum going through their exhibits: 19th century Czech art, modern art...they had a few masters, but not too many. What they did have were some interesting color choices for walls. I was a little surprised to find a gallery with peptol bismal (?huh?) pink walls. So, the dark purple walls in another gallery were tame in comparison.


  

Small Boy. Big Hit.

Leo got to play in his first baseball game last night with the Praha Eagles. As Leo went up to bat, the dad next to me asked how old he was and exclaimed at his small stature. Leo's first up at bat and he's one and one. On the third pitch, he lets it rip and the ball sails over center field and bounces against the fence for a triple. The dad laughs and says,"Small boy, bit hit!"

As the mom of the new kid on the team, I was nervous for him, but not after that hit. And then we got a double rainbow.




4 comments:

  1. Yay, Leo! (Not that I had any doubt how that baseball story would go . . .)

    Karen and Lucas

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. - Feel free to bring me home that lovely framed tile pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yeah, that would look perfect in your home. Let me see what I can do. Now that I'm fluent in Czech....

      Delete
  3. I have complete confidence in you!

    ReplyDelete